Refer to a Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Environmental Technical Officer / Kaiārahi Hangarau Taiao
All about the job
Porirua City Council is looking for a customer service focused officer who will monitor and enforce environmental management for Porirua through carrying out our regulatory functions under legislation and bylaws. In this role you will:
- Play a role in maintaining and improving Porirua City’s physical environment through promoting good environmental management and ensuring the community are well educated
- Monitor compliance and investigate complaints about breaches of bylaws and determine appropriate response on behalf of Council
- Liaise with many external agencies, such as Fire and Emergency
- Carry out annual audits of registered trade waste sites and onsite domestic waste water systems and monitor compliance
- Assist with assessing activities or environmental issues that may affect public health under the Health Act
- Carry out the duties of the Licensing Inspector as required
All about you
We are looking for someone with experience working in this space and a strong understanding of all the relevant legislation and bylaws associated with environmental health management. You’ll need to show us that you:
- have a proven ability to communicate effectively and the confidence to clearly educate diverse members of the public
- familiarity with relevant legislation and the ability to learn and understand bylaws and policies
- are effective in resolving conflict in a calm and positive manner
- have demonstrated a high level of resilience and persistence in a challenging environment
- have a high level of energy, good initiative and a can-do attitude
- have good report writing and general administration skills.
All about Porirua City
Our city is changing and we need skilled people to help make that happen. Working for Porirua City is an opportunity for you to make a real difference in the community. You’ll be welcomed into a team that’s collaborative, values input and empowers you to make things happen. To top it off, the harbour and natural environment are on your doorstep making it a great place to work.
To find out more about working for Porirua City Watch this video
Come and join our Monitoring and Compliance team. Please contact Nick Macdonald on 04 237 3594 for more information. Applications need to be received via our Careers Portal by Thursday 25 February 2021.